Which Delta 8 Strain Is Right For Me?
With the rising popularity of legal cannabis products and the recognition of their potential health benefits, it’s critical to understand the differences between cannabis strains when selecting and purchasing the most appropriate option for yourself. Different cannabis strains can have different effects on your relaxation, productivity, creativity, and overall well-being. As such, we highly recommend that you learn about the medical and recreational purposes of the different varieties available to better match your lifestyle and health needs.
We realize that there is an overwhelming amount of information out there surrounding the different strains, so we created a source to help you find the most suitable strains for your personal needs. By the end of this guide, you will better understand the specific characteristics of certain strains of Delta 8 and how they can best be utilized to meet your needs.
What Is Delta 8?
To better appreciate the value of delta 8 strains, we first must understand what delta 8 is. Delta 8 is a hemp-derived phytocannabinoid that is a form of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC as we commonly know it. When extracted from a cannabis plant and consumed, phytocannabinoids interact with our body’s cannabinoid receptors to produce psychoactive and therapeutic effects. The specific effects you will experience ultimately depend on which phytocannabinoids and terpenes are prominent in that specific cannabis strain.
While delta 8 products are federally legal due to their low delta 9 THC content, you must check the laws of your state to ensure you remain compliant. Each state has its own power to regulate laws around the production, selling, and consumption of hemp and its derivatives.
Understanding Delta 8 Strains
Delta 8 THC comes in the same typical strains as its potent counterpart, delta 9 THC – indica, sativa, and hybrid strains. Most strains will offer their own unique experiences, benefits, and different effects. Delta 8 sativa-dominant strains have properties that are drastically different from that of delta 8 indica-dominant strains. Hybrid strains create unique combinations of both strains. Let’s explore and find the right strain for you.
Delta 8 Sativa Strains
The physical properties of sativa cannabis plants are vastly different from that of the indica plants. Sativa plants will be noticeably slimmer and taller with light-colored buds and leaves.
This particular strain offers a strong, energetic high and can be the perfect enhancement to jumpstart your day. A lot of people enjoy a morning sativa for its energizing characteristics and uplifting effects, just like many people enjoy a morning coffee. Sativa strains are known to inspire creativity and positive moods.
Delta 8 strains offer a more mellow, functional high so sativa is a great option to utilize as a daily energizing stimulant that will keep you going strong all day. Unlike the common fatigue and paranoia side effects of delta 9 THC, a sativa strain with delta 8 THC offers an invigorating, mental sharpness.
When taken in the form of an edible, the effects of cannabis sativa could take up to 60–90 minutes to fully kick in, but the desired results would last much longer and allow you to ease into your experience. For more instantaneous results, we recommend smoking or vaping your delta 8 cannabis sativa.
Pros of the Sativa Strain
- Increased energy levels: Sativa offers invigorating and energizing effects on both the mind and body, helping you harness your energy to move throughout the day productively and positively.
- Mental clarity: The stimulating effects of this strain will keep you mentally elevated and calm regardless of whatever curveballs the day may throw at you. Offering a sense of clearheadedness, sativa allows for creativity to flourish without the burden of overwhelming thoughts.
- Uplifting mood: Because sativa provides an overall sense of relief and relaxation, it greatly enhances your mood and could even cause spells of incessant laughter.
Cons of the Sativa Strain
- Insomnia: Due to the invigorating and stimulating effects of the sativa strain, if taken at night with the intention of relaxing into a deep slumber, you may be unpleasantly surprised. This is not a strain for bedtime relaxation.
Common Sativa Strains
With the increased interest and legality of delta 8 products, there will of course be a surplus of new strains created, with each one offering its own characteristics. When choosing your preferred sativa, keep in mind each strain will offer a unique flavor profile, potency, and effect. Here are a few of our favorites for you to test out and try at your leisure.
- Pineapple Haze – This tropical-inspired strain offers uplifting effects with higher levels of cerebral focus, making it the perfect strain to inspire creativity or utilize as a boost pre-workout.
- Jack Herer – This delta 8 variant is renowned for its soothing yet energizing effects. Delta 8 Jack Herer was created from plants selectively crossed to produce high concentrations of the cannabinoid. Typically, consumers report relaxed moods that lead to improved focus and creativity. It features a smooth citrus flavor.
- Sour Diesel – Sour Diesel has an earthy taste and a spicy aroma. Its effects on the user range from increased creativity to help with focus and alertness, making it great for many different situations.
Delta 8 Indica Strains
As we stated before, the properties and effects of sativa compared to those of indica are vastly different and nearly complete opposites. The physical properties of indica cannabis plants include dense buds that are small and bushy. They also have darker coloring than the light and airy sativa plants.
Most strains of indica offer a mellow high, perfect for relaxation just before bed and for those with insomnia or irregular sleeping patterns. The specific effects are not the same as a sleeping pill, but it will help put your body in a relaxed state so you can easily fall asleep. People love the calming effects of indica as a natural way to decompress after a stressful day at work or just to unwind and enjoy a chill evening at home.
Pros of the Indica Strain
- Calming effect: Whatever stressful factors you’ve experienced during the day, this particular strain is perfect for leaving your worries at the door and unwinding into a relaxed state.
- Anxiety relief: Medicinal cannabis has been growing in popularity that may help ease depression and anxiety as a more natural and safer alternative to addictive prescription drugs. Whether you suffer from chronic and severe anxiety or more mild and infrequent episodes, indica is the perfect strain to help.
- Pain alleviation: If you are experiencing discomfort and minor pain, indica may reduce muscle tension, providing relief from mild symptoms.
- Healthier sleep: If you suffer from insomnia or irregular sleep patterns, indica provides full body relaxation, allowing you to fall asleep with ease and enjoy quality sleep without tossing and turning all night long.
Cons of the Indica Strain
- Inability to focus: Due to the relaxed characteristics of indica, it’s not intended to offer the mental stimulation and cerebral focus of its sativa counterpart.
- Increased appetite: Indica strains are known for bringing on a case of the munchies. This isn’t necessarily a con, but if you don’t want to be craving something to eat, sativa might be a better option.
Common Indica Strains
When choosing your preferred indica, keep in mind each cannabis strain will offer a unique flavor profile, potency, and desired effects. Here are a few of our favorite strain names for you to test out and try at your leisure.
- Royal Purple Kush – This pure cannabis indica strain is filled with sweet and earthy-tasting notes. It can induce a deep euphoric state perfect for a chill evening or tranquil sleep.
- Northern Lights – This delta 8 THC strain combines its cannabinoid profile with an aromatic blend of terpenes for an incredible sensory experience. Its distinct effects offer a type of relaxation that few other cannabinoid products can provide.
- Bubba OG – This delta 8 strain comes with a balanced mixture of both energizing and calming sensations. It’s often used to help those struggling with anxiety and stress, as well as sleeplessness or difficulty concentrating. The flavors are very sweet yet herbal with earthy undertones that lend to the overall calming effects of delta 8.
Delta 8 Hybrid Strains
Hybrid strains are crosses between two different strains, a sativa and an indica. They offer ultimate versatility and the best of both worlds. Breeders cross-pollinate two strains to produce certain characteristics, making the possibilities endless when it comes to hybrids.
While a true hybrid should be an equal mix of 50/50 from its parent plants in order to have a balanced effect, this is actually rare. Most hybrids are either sativa-dominant or indica-dominant. The overall undertone of the hybrid strain will be defined by more characteristics from its dominant parent plant. There are endless combinations so the experience and effects of hybrids will vary greatly from plant to plant.
Pros of Hybrid Strains
- Balanced effects: A balanced hybrid might provide mental clarity and an energy boost, as well as a sense of relaxation and calm.
- Usable at any time of day: Due to the balanced effects hybrids offer, these strains can easily be consumed any time of the day without an extremely energetic high or overly sedated tranquility that would best be suited in the morning or late evening.
- Pain relief and mobility: The relaxing effects of indica can provide joint mobility and relief from muscle soreness and other mild discomforts.
Cons of Hybrid Strains
- Side effects in some users: Some consumers of hybrid strains may report mild side effects, such as mood fluctuation, dry mouth, and anxiety. When you are just starting to use hybrid strains, it is a good idea to begin with a small dose and see whether it suits you without any notable unwanted side effects.
Common Hybrid Strains
- Blue Dream – This hybrid offers a decadent blueberry taste while providing creative inspiration and a euphoric high. It is the perfect strain for creative artists and musicians to reach higher levels of creative flow.
- OG Kush – By far, OG Kush is one of the most popular strains in America. It is distinguished by having a strong-smelling aroma and offering a mellow body high. With uplifting and mildly energizing effects, this particular strain is great for socializing events.
- White Widow – A favorite among cannabis connoisseurs. It has versatility for day or night sessions and gives an energizing, creative boost.
Best Delta 8 Strain for Pain
One of the oldest questions about cannabis relates to whether indica or sativa is a superior cannabis strain for pain relief. While both strains have proven anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects, in general indica and indica-dominant hybrid strains might be better because of their soothing and relaxing qualities. Moreover, indica strains feature the terpenes caryophyllene and myrcene, which are recognized for their anti-inflammatory properties.
Research studies over the years have shown that delta 8 indica strains may work to calm pain-inducing inflammation. Indica strain is a CB1 antagonist, which allows it to block the receptors in the brain that trigger pain perception.
Considering these encouraging results, many more research studies are now underway to evaluate the potential pain reliever attributes of indica strain for migraines, fibromyalgia, arthritic pain, and other forms of chronic pain.
One of the major studies on delta 8 published in the prestigious Journal of Cannabis Research showed that more than half of the study participants had used delta 8 THC for the treatment of chronic pain.
Neuropathic pain occurs when the nervous system suffers some form of damage. It might be successfully addressed for some patients with the medical use of indica strain. Nerve pain is persistent and hard to treat, and may include conditions, such as diabetic neuropathy, back pain due to spinal cord damage, and shingles. According to a 2019 research study, cannabinoids, like the indica delta 8 strain, may work to treat neuropathic pain.
Best Delta 8 Strain for Sleep
It’s vital to understand that there is no single delta 8 strain that exclusively supports a healthy sleep cycle. Each individual’s body response to delta 8 strains will vary. But in general, indica strains with a high potency of terpenes can make a difference in helping people enjoy a regular and deep sleep.
The sedating effects of indica continue to be a matter of study for researchers, but there is growing evidence to indicate that gel caps, gummies, and other delta 8 edibles with indica-dominant strains are helpful for sleep. The initial energy burst produced by indica strains is usually followed by a deep state of mental relaxation, which promotes faster and better sleep. It is particularly helpful for some people to take delta 8 edibles a few hours before they want to go to sleep.
Delta 8 THC binds to the natural cannabinoid receptors of the endocannabinoid system in the human body. These receptors induce deeper sleep as they work to improve the heart rate and slow down the rate of breathing. These properties have led researchers to study the possible benefits of indica strain in helping regulate the sleep cycle.
The key to success with indica dominant strains for optimal sleep also lies in choosing the right time (a little before bedtime) to use the substance and the right dosage or strength. Some people combine consuming an indica strain delta 8 THC with melatonin, lavender, or other natural ingredients that are recognized for their sleep-inducing properties.
Best Delta 8 Strain for Anxiety
According to a research study published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, people using medical cannabis reported a 58% improvement in their anxiety levels, along with a reduction of up to 50% in depression.
Traditional belief about delta 8 strains has been that indica works well for anxiety relief, but sativa does not. Pertaining to this, a growing body of research now shows that sativa’s mood-uplifting effects when combined with the physical agitation-reducing properties of the indica strain may be most effective in fighting anxiety and depression.
Hybrid strains that are a cross between sativa and indica can provide a calming effect when you are suffering from anxiety, and gradually create an energizing experience that helps fight the lingering effects. It may require some amount of trial and error to identify which of the hybrid strains works best for anxiety relief in your case.
Best Delta 8 Strain for Appetite
Both sativa and indica strains are well known and fairly well documented for their appetite stimulation benefits. One research study performed on mice showed that consuming a delta 8 cannabis strain in low doses increased the amount of food intake by 16%. The appetite of the subjects continued to increase as the study progressed.
Until large and more extensive studies are conducted, it is hard to conclusively describe the role delta 8 strains have in inducing a healthy appetite. But it might be reasonable to assume from the available data that if you are experiencing appetite loss because of medical conditions, medications, anxiety, or some other reason, the use of delta 8 could be helpful.
Both sativa and indica cannabis plant strains interact with the body’s natural endocannabinoid system in ways that help improve its performance. This cell-signaling system regulates numerous bodily functions, including hunger. The CB1 receptors in the system can work better with the use of delta 8 to boost your metabolism and appetite. Surely, delicious food and quality delta 8 can go hand in hand to add more excitement to your meals.
Choose Your Delta 8 Products From Trusted Industry Experts
Laughing Buddha delta 8 products have the highest level of purity and consistency, which sets us apart. Our products are 100% hemp-derived from the finest quality cannabis plants and each item is produced under stringent quality controls at our in-house production facility.
With that said, we utilize third-party independent lab testing to deliver products you can trust. To learn more about our products or our quality standards, call us at 877-420-8420 or complete this online contact form today.
Disclaimer: Laughing Buddha products are not intended to treat or cure any medical condition. Please use your discretion while buying or using our products and consult with a healthcare professional for advice.